Thursday, December 4, 2008

(W16.1) BEH Entry #3: Family Matters

To stay true to form I am going to skip out on the events leading to the evening, though math class was it's own little adventure.

8:30pm- After I had changed out of the pants that had a hole in the front of them big enough to put a hand through, I called my sister. My niece had gotten the last of a life long series of operations, and she wanted Jell-o. My sister had had a few beers and as a rule would not drive, my mother was in bed and would not get up (I would like to note that I had told her it would be a good idea to go and visit earlier in the day.)

9:02- While ringing up my Jell-o and Jaeger , the cashier told her story of the first time that she drank: 'They kept passing me Jell-o shots, and then I did four Jaeger Bombs, and drank six Smirnoff Twisted. I Blacked out most the night, so this is the story my friends told me. This was the first time I drank, and I have not partied like that in a long time.'

9:34- I arrived at my destination and called my mother. 'You are there already?' she said.
'Yeah I tried to tell you I am the best walker in town.', 'Yeah but I thought you had to buy Jell-o at the store.',' I did.' What amuses me most is that she says she worries when I am out, and she told me many times not to go because it was dark. She was asleep when I called, and if I were to only walk around when it was light out I would have a tight schedule.

11somthing: I put in 'The Departed' and my sister and I chit chatted about this that and the other thing. Someone had told her that I had been arrested because I was in a car that had drugs in it. I did not even know people talked about me, much less that they make up pretty intense rumors. I have been in the passenger seat of a few cars that got pulled over, most of which it was a headlight or tail light 'out'.

About 20minutes after the movie ended: I read the Final Chapter of my book. It may have been the 99 Bananas and Jaeger talking, but it seemed as though Alan knew exactly who I was, what I was doing, and what I should be doing.

From the time I finished the book to the time I feel asleep (about an hour): I stared at the ceiling and tried to figure out what I wanted to do with the pearl of wisdom that Alan Alda had written in the book. The final chapter was like reading all of the intense parts of the book, all at once. In a few weeks I plan to read it over, one because I will remember the message better and two because it is a profound message that I think has some merit.

2:36am- I sent the a text message that read: 'YOU KNOW, OTHER THAN TEACHERS, NO ONE HAS TOLD ME I WAS WORTH ANYTHING?' It was more something that I had to say because it was a true statement than something I was upset about. I have a solid drunk text person, I assume that at some point she will ask me to stop; but until then it is great just to say the things that seem important to say.

Lessons Learned in the Battle of the Evening Hours:
1) Family Matters. I think of it as duel purpose, when there is a family matter, family matters. That is one of the reasons I love holidays. My Dad loves thanksgiving, Christmas is hard but it is family bonding time. Cathy had more Christmas Cheer then anyone I have ever met.
2) People talk about me, I was not aware that I was talk worthy. And it seems to an extent that I either look like someone that got arrested or I have an enemy.
3) Pearls of wisdom are everywhere, and life is worth slowing down to enjoy. (see there is the resemblance of a pearl of wisdom right there, slow down and enjoy the ride.)
4) I enjoy starting the piece with an odd detail of the events prior to the evening hours. Just tip toeing around the boundaries of the piece.
5) I know people better then they themselves will admit, normally because they tell me things they will never tell anyone else.

-NK

2 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Sometimes I think the jello company would go out of business if it weren't for hospitals, grange suppers, and people who can't get alcohol down unless mixed with sugar....

Interesting that you can funnel events down and wind up with a set of derived realizations or precepts.

nkassigned08 said...

I can pull realizations from anything that I type out or discuss, it is something that my mind does when I look at the same thing in detail. That is one of the reasons that a teacher of mine and I decided that I was a Socratic learner. It is also one of the reasons I advocate discussions and for topics that you do not want to discuss with people, write it out.