Sunday, December 7, 2008

(16.1) BEH Entry #6: A Mile of Darkness.

Four o'clock, Five o'clock...Work.

5:57pm- Work had gone on long enough; I have found that if I ask to leave three minutes early, I have to stay till the end of the day, if I walk out and say goodbye, I go home three minutes early. Some days, I just need to leave a few minutes early; normally I need to leave when there is nothing to do.

(18:42:57)- The receipt printed from the self check out. One of my work shoes has a split from side to side that goes to the toes. I bought a new set of shoes, half a size up, and a set of boxers. Instead of walking the two miles home, I walked the one and a half miles to my father's.

7:25- I burned through three nights of leftovers, my dad wanted to make sure that I was eating well. Most nights he is in bed around 7, but he wanted to spend time with me.

8:02- I followed one of the quotes a co-worker told me; 'You have to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.' -Hyman G. Rickover. I watched the movie 'Step-Brothers', as many of Will Ferrel's movies there were a few scenes that were over the top. The movie is about a 39 year old and a 40 year old that still live at home, and they become step-brothers.

10:37- "The Darjeeling Limited." A movie about three brothers on a train. I was not really all that interested in the movie, so I did not pay attention.

12:45am- The movie that I had rented to watch went in, "X-Files: I Want to Believe." I had yet to see an X-Files show, and I still have not.

And the Battle of the evening left ruins, the lessons surfaced slowly:
1) The economy is in ruins, and you work just hard enough to not get fired, but not hard enough to not be able to better your chances in the future.
2) This town needs lighted side walks, something that I have believed for years, but about the third time I rolled my ankle while trying to walk on the worn small shoulder.
3) I have to set goals and live up to them and get the heck out of dodge. Living starts when you start living.
4) My sister knows me better then I know myself. She can read people by the tone they say something in, even if are unaware of the tone; which is far different from the way I read people, the way they word there sentences and how long it take to come up with an answer.

-NK

5 comments:

johngoldfine said...

How did your sister get in here at the end?

nkassigned08 said...

She is my fathers caretaker. She, two nieces and one father share one house.

johngoldfine said...

But how did she get in here? In your entry as one of the day's lessons?

nkassigned08 said...

Lack of proof reading skills, do to waking up at 6:30 when I could have slept until 10 without trying.

And to grasp at straws:

All accounts that placed both my sister and father together before happened outside of the evening hours. All supplementary to the plot of the Battle of the Evening Hours. Therefor, the appearance, can be drafted off like the comment about how I needing to reupholster the couch. A detail that happened but did not make the story flow.
The lessons come in the writing of the piece.

johngoldfine said...

Hey nka, "The lessons come in the writing of the piece."

I'd never disagree with that.