Sunday, August 31, 2008

(W2) My Physical History

This particular history starts when I was in grade school. One day about a half hour before the bus was to roll by, I threw up. I was instructed to clean it off the floor and to finish getting ready for school. The lesson learned was you go to school unless you need to go to the emergency room.

Then the years pass and I gain a fairly decent immune system, miss maybe a day a year. Holidays and weekends were very good days to have a cold and sleep in. The next big event in the history of my body would be my first work experience. I was thirteen years old and I learned how to rake blueberries, a job that you could not miss a day of.

For each summer for three years after I learned how, I raked blueberries for three weeks straight. Only taking days off do to weather. I made the goal of raking an average of twenty buckets a day and I stuck to it for all three of the years.

The April before what would have been my fifth year of raking I dislocated my shoulder while swimming. Because this is somehow an impossible feat I had to set it back myself, I was at a school function mind you.

Now to the pinnacle of my physical health. I was eighteen years old, I ran cross country, I had a part time job, full course load in high school, a long distance girlfriend and a new puppy. When cross country ended, I got really sick. I was started on a bipolar medication. I few months later my girlfriend dumped me and I had a test done for mono. It turned out that I had mono throughout my whole cross country career. My 'never give up' attitude and my high pain threshold got me through every race of the season. My coach even awarded me a book for most dedicated runner of '05.

Soon after the loss of my girlfriend I pursued a bicycle dream of mine. I rode my bike twenty miles to a small tourist trap and back in the same day. All in all I have made the trip five times. The best was about 65 miles on the bike, a three mile mountain hike, a dip in the ocean and some Chinese food in 12 hours.

Winter and Spring of 2007 I had an adverse reaction to the medication I was on. As far as I can tell the 10mg tablets built up in my system until my body was unable to cool itself off, even in 34 degree weather I was sweating. For a month or so all I did was sleep. My roommate recalled one time when I was sleeping 16 hours out of the day and then I would be up for less then four and then out for another 16 hours.

Currently I am rebuilding my immune system and trying to get into a routine for exercise. The rest is yet to be written. From what I understand of the aging process, my body has a lot of back tax it owes.

-NK

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

The autobio of a body!--neat idea and followthru not too shabby either.

I like the apparent relentless focus on the physical but also the backdoor way the psychological sneaks in. A proper tale, like this one, always has build-ups and inevitable set-backs, and that is the rhythm you drop into here very nicely.