Thursday, August 28, 2008

Journal Entry #2: The Back Porch

Today was blessed with the chance to read on the back porch. The sun (which between nine a.m. and two or three p.m requires a hat or good sunglasses, otherwise you end up trading squinted eyes.) warmed my skin and made a perfect level of contrast on the pages of my book. The wind was just strong enough to cool my skin but was not strong enough to turn my pages for me.

I decided to refrain from enjoying what in my opinion is the best from of television. The three frames made by the railings and mid beams of the porch offer an uncut, unscripted program that is object to change do to chance. When sitting in the chair on the porch you can see one of the three neighbor's houses and their yards boxed in by one of the frames. Today the front and right panels only held the houses and the trees that moved in the wind. The Left frame however housed a home improvement project. Two men where making the plain white house a rustic brown tiles house, while listening to early nineties soft rock and encouraging the two dogs to run back and forth staring down at my dog, which made him whine and run back and forth.

The CD I was listening to (All American Rejects' self titled album featuring the song Swing, Swing.) faded to the background. My thoughts and attention were torn between the book, my dog and trying to think how to rewrite my 'Three shades of me Post.'

I got a decent amount of pages read, my dog is a little more trained on sitting still even if he wants to run and bark at other dogs and I may have come up with a way to satisfy the writing assignment. All and all a good time sitting on the back porch.

-NK

4 comments:

johngoldfine said...

It was a nice day--unfortunately (if the pleasure of the day is the only guiding principle) or fortunately (if one is more ant than grasshoppper in the formulation of the fable), my job kept me chained to the computer, ignoring dogs, neighbors, sun, trees, and every other manifestation of nature.

nkassigned08 said...

well next time pretend you are me while reading it. That is sort of the point of writing it.

johngoldfine said...

Nah, I don't want to pretend to be you! I want the writer to sink his hooks into my mind so while I have to be me, it's clearly with a writer riding me.... Does this sound weird? F'get it!

nkassigned08 said...

It sounds like a hard feat to manage with non-fiction. Mind cues are smells and sounds, So I would have to stay in the one location and listen smell and watch everything happening. The to keep it true to non-fiction somehow line it so the time lapse is implied but does not draw away from the story.