Sunday, September 28, 2008

(W5) Into the woods.

The three of us entered into the woods, once out of ear shot we started to make a plan.

‘Ok, I am going to take a position on the hill. You go left, and you go right.’ Started walking with the man in his early thirties. ‘Ok, the last few games I noticed that you fire early. Wait until the get really close, these guns are not as accurate as real guns. When you fire across the field you just give away your position.’

I knew that the man on the right would fire early and draw them to him, so I scanned the right side of the hill. I found a small bunker made of underbrush and three spaced apart rocks, it concealed me while crouching and allowed a little movement on the top of the hill.

Then we heard the call for the start of the match. Less then a minute in the man on the right fire, two men on the other team took notice and started to advance on him. As they got close I noticed that neither of them was one of the three that were supposed to enter after us. Well it looks like everyone else showed up.

My shot at them was blocked and I did not want to give up my position early. Both of them started to fire at my partner. When he yelled ‘I’M OUT,’ the two of them stood up and I had a shot at them. I fired off four rounds and they ducked down. One ducked right into an open patch of the underbrush, his back arched forward as three paintballs broke against his sweat shirt. The other noticed my position and started to return fire while backing up to get a clear shot. As he hide behind a tree, I moved to the other side of one of my rocks, and as he leaned out from his cover I laid one into his chest.

I ducked down and started to scan the front of the hill, as I started to look back a white blur caught my eye. Is that a shoe, it is a shoe. Its not moving was it already out here, well I might as well shoot at it. I fired three shots. As the owner of the shoe yelled in pain, I thought if he had shot at me I would have been out for sure, he had a clear shot on my whole back.

While mulling over why he just sat there, two advancing men started to open fire. I moved in and out of the three rocks trying to fire from a different spot as much as I could. I got both of them, how many are out here. I could here a distant firefight. Well at least he probably waited till he had a clear shot.

To test my new found invincibility I stood up and started to walk down the hill with my pro carbine raised above my head firing rounds into the sky, no one fired at me. I got a sight on another guy and as I lined up my gun to fire, I heard a quick triple shot and an ‘I’m out, I’m out.’ His gun had run out of CO2 .

‘You sent out seven to get us?’
‘Yeah, everyone showed up and they were ready to go.’

We all stood around the two picnic tables covered with supplies, lively stories were thrown back and forth. After hear the people I shot tell

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

All action, no narrative. What makes a narrative?