Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Journal Entry #10: When the Saints

As I walked in to school this morning, I looked at the statue on a lawn. I recognized it as a statue of Saint Joseph holding the baby Jesus. One thought lead to another and started to think of what name I would choose for myself if I was elected Pope.

Upon recognizing my choice of Saints I realized that I would be hard pressed to be pope; a person who supports travel, animals and children may be hard pressed to find themselves as head of the Roman Catholic Church.

The thought continued to brew in my mind. As I was walking and thinking of being named after Saint Francis of Assisi, I heard a woof and the pant of an approaching dog. I looked and a Saint Barnard pup was running across the road toward me.

The rather large puppy had floppy ears and a bandanna; he had assuredly gotten free from his owner. I whistled and the dog started to jump circles around me. The owner caught up and said he was sorry and that the it was a puppy. I stayed and waited until the owner could stop the dog, I enjoyed watching the pup's excitement to be unleashed.

While crossing the road I marveled at how interesting it was that the dog ran across the street as I was thinking about the Patron Saint of Animals.

As I was walking by the playground, I started to think of the name of the patron saint of children and at that moment on of the kids on a bench yelled out 'Nick!' I looked and it was the girl that I babysat for twice; she was a playmate of the boys I agreed to watch for a couple from Pennsylvania.

While seaching for the names online I realized that all three of my Saint choices were confirmed: Saint Francis of Assisi when the dog ran across the road, Saint Nicholas when the girl called to me and Saint Christopher, the patron saint of travel, was their throughout the entire walk.

So, Pope Nicholas Francis Christopher.

-NK

2 comments:

johngoldfine said...

hey nka, you kind of suck the reader right in here, until after a second we wake up and say, 'What! He's trying to figure out which saints are going to work best for him for when he's elected Pope!!!'

I like your three choices, even if St Christopher is off the saints's calendar these days.....

nkassigned08 said...

Yeah, my mom said something about that. I did not realize that the Saints could change, I guess the one family member to become a born again Christian is right about there unnecessary recognition.

I will have to look into why St. Christopher is no longer the Patron Saint of Travel. If I disagree, I could make a religious sect and walk the Earth.

Wishing for the blessing of a Saint is more a reminder that there is something to live for. I pray for safe travel because I want to return home, I want to see friends and family again.

-NFC