Saturday, September 20, 2008

(PP) Am I Philosopher?

My favorite teacher in High School told me that I was a Socratic Learner. It was at first a common place compliment to me. I was a definable different, there were others like me just not everywhere. In my Honors 101: Wisdom stories form Antiquity, we studied the works of Socrates and I agreed I was very similar in my quest for knowledge and I learned more by a response to a hypothetical situation then lines from a textbook. I recently started to read the book, 'Philosophy: 100 Essential Thinkers.'

I do not really think that I am revolutionary, but I think I have a different way of looking at things. I would be lying if I said I did not think that other people could learn and grow from what I have to say.

One thing that I like to bring up from time to time is Visual Color and the Interpretation of it. Colors are taken in as set wavelengths, green is always green. Then when you take in the wavelength you use cones and rods to send a message to your occipital lobe, this makes a set path way in your mind, every time you see that wavelength you see green. Well if you are born with slightly different cones and rods then someone else, the wavelength is seen differently, but is still always seen the same, still called green. Everyone could be looking at the same wavelength and interpret it differently. If it is a different interpretation then it could be how someone else interprets a different wavelength for a different color. If my favorite color is green and yours is blue, an argument based on which is better might actually be both of use saying that the same interpretation as the better of all others. We may be agreeing on all accounts but we are still arguing.

Arguments are based on what we know to be fact and what we favor based on who we are. So to hate someone based on their Argument, is the same as hating yourself.

I believe in God, it is just what I have been brought up to believe. I believe in Jesus and I believe he sacrificed himself for his sins, again how I was raised. I believe that God is the final judge after this world, so who am I to say weather or not a person will go to heaven or hell for one thing or another, that would be placing myself before God. So, I believe everyone will be judged by God and he will decide. The Islamic Jehadist that blew himself up for his religion may go to heaven, I know it to be a sin to kill myself and others, but the Jehadist was not taught that, the Jehadist was taught to kill himself for God. (I do think that someone there may be held responsible.)

To treat a Muslim as any less then a person of God is against my Christan Beliefs. If any man, woman or child asks me of my beliefs or tries to tell me of theirs, I share mine. Sure mine flux from time to time, but they only change based on what I know to be true and I will respect any persons beliefs and I will state if I think they may be misled.


-NK

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Aw, nka, I'm so non-Philosopher you wouldn't believe it! I don't understand that kind of writing! All those airy abstractions! I want to sit down with those fellas and say, "Enough with the theories, boys! Tell us a story."

I work inductively (if at all) and most of the philosophers I've read love nothing more than some nice deductive syllogisms, logic, or worst of all, quasi-math formulas. Not for me!

So, I can't catch up to you here, not even close.