Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Journal Entry #12: The Tale of Sir Rantsalot

A week ago I found out that Rant was playing at a restaurant, I knew a few of the members and had seen them before, so I decided to go.

While I was donning whole boxes on at work I decided that I could make a suit of armor out of duct tape and cardboard, it was a good enough idea for a costume and I always wanted a reason to make a cardboard suit of armor.

The first night I got a good start and then I started to taper off. I can honestly merit the finishing of my costume to '76 Olympic Decathlon Gold Medalist Bruce Jenner. I finally opened the book he wrote, my high school cross country teacher had given it to me for being most dedicated of 2005. While reading the first chapter I decided that I did in fact want to finish my costume.

All and all I spent about 20 bucks and six hours on the armor. I decided that it would be a good idea to place the bands symbol, an R, on the back. The night of Halloween I was looking at one of the best things I had crafted with my bare hands. I had even come up with a back story.

I was a knight of Rantopia. Where is my sword you ask, well all disputes of Rantopia are handled through concerts. Whole wars are waged just to see how loud they can make the crowd scream.

Keeping time with the music I found to be an easy and fun practice. Concerts are the only place where I can jump up and down, and yell at the top of my lungs; and people think it is great. I was just having fun, and one of the stuff members in the crowd came over, 'What size shirt are you?' He just gave me a shirt for being me, how great is that!

Then it came time for the costume contest. I was hoping...

The lead singer started his spiel, 'Well there are a lot of sexy costumes, there are a lot of scary costumes....but there is only one person that made his own RANT ARMOR!' I walked up and they showed the symbol on my back to the crowd and they all started cheering for me. People where surfacing, saying 'Dude you rock.' and then the bartender walked up and presented me two fifty dollar bills. Eric from the band yelled out 'Sir Rantsalot.'

My neighbor across the street was there, a guy that used to watch wrestling with my brother was there. I became a person of chit chat, I got invited to a few after parties. I went to one and had a good time hanging out with a few of the band members and their friends and a few of my friends.

Who knew you could turn cardboard and duct tape into profit and a great time?

-NK

3 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Congratulations! Of course, I'm about 18 musical generations removed from you. Uh, the last popular song I remember hearing and liking was 'Hotel California' in the early seventies of the last century.

nkassigned08 said...

The one about heroin addiction?

JK, it was a decent song. Rock music seems to be more about making your body feel the music, dancing to it consists of jumping up and down and nodding your head back and forth violently.

I am energetic and I am naturally loud, so I fit in well.

johngoldfine said...

Heroin addiction? Who knew? I thought it was a song about a big spooky hotel or something....