Tuesday, November 4, 2008

(10) Tandem

The second year of Latin was with Gertrude Champe, her years had somehow found her teaching four of us Latin in a walk space between two other classrooms. She was always trying to push me as far as I could go, and she was always testing who I was.

I have run into her once, and she looked me right in the eye and said 'What happened Nick, I thought you would be off doing wonderful things now. You had such a wonderful mind.' Here she was standing years later, not the teacher pushing me further; but a mentor looking at a pupil that has failed to progress.


I used to work for a man that would crack a beer at nine in the morning, he was an outdoors-man. He would swear, say crude racist and sexist remarks; most of the time just to judge my reaction.

A few weeks back I went to the yearly party that he throws. I had a few drinks in me and he comes up and tells me that I should not drink so much. He was more drunk then I was, but he had a look that can not be mistaken. He had that look a dad would have when the police brought his son home.

From looking back at it all, I have not lived up to my potentials. I seem to place myself one step behind where I want to be. I close to expectations, and further down then the negative criticism given. In some areas I learned the wrong lesson and made the wrong choices. All of which I have to accept and relearn.


-NK

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

A step too far in my opinion--to let the irony work--for it to seep and spread--cut the last graf altogether. You can have writing that explains or you can have writing that teases and evokes.