Wednesday, October 29, 2008

(W10) Diet

Not ten minutes ago I found myself enjoying pizza and soda from the Student Association. I took the two slices that I had selected and walked to the table I was sharing with my friend.

'There is pizza out there? Hmm.. I don't know, ah what the heck. I can't turn down free pizza.'

A member of the Student Association looked up and said, 'its not free, the student association payed for it.'

my friend turned and said 'I guess it is a perspective thing...'

To enjoy my free pizza, guilt free, I walked back out with my friend. There one of the students that works in the computer lab was pouring diet Pepsi into a cup 'Kinda ironic isn't it, eating pizza and drinking diet Pepsi.'

'Yeah I guess we all do that a lot.' After the conversation ended I was looking at all the sides of irony that where there. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

'Kinda ironic isn't it, eating pizza and drinking diet Pepsi.' He was saying that choosing the diet Pepsi over regular Pepsi was a healthier choice whereas the pizza was an unhealthy choice altogether. I saw the word diet as the most ironic part of the statement.

Soda companies use the word diet to mean: not containing sugar. The common American views the word to mean: a healthier choice. Sugar is unhealthy in high doses because it exerts organs trying to balance your body, a sugar supplement may very well be just as bad for you in high doses; there just has not been a scientific study on the effects of prolonged exposure to regular doses of a certain sugar supplement.

Kinda ironic isn't it.

4 comments:

johngoldfine said...

What if this piece could not use the i-word? Could it be ironic without talking directly about the irony?

nkassigned08 said...

yeah it just happened in the form of a discussion of irony, I was taking a break after reading this weeks prompt and the whole situation occurred.

The Irony that is in the piece without actually saying irony is the discussion of the pizza. To me the pizza is free, I am receiving pizza without giving any money. To the person in the student association the pizza was purchased and therefor not free.

An unstated irony is the way that people take things at face value. The pizza is free so no matter how much I eat it still free. The soda is diet so I can drink as much as I want to because it is better for me.

Let me know if that is too elusive.

johngoldfine said...

Now, come on, nka, you know that I like elusive--up to a point, anyway--a point not yet reached today....

johngoldfine said...

Now, come on, nka, you know that I like elusive--up to a point, anyway--a point not yet reached today....